01 January 2013

Becoming a Better Husband, Father and Photographer

It's the new year. I don't have any resolutions. But I do want to be a better husband, a better father and a better photographer.

With regards to being a better husband, I have Paul's instruction to the Ephesian churches to guide me:



Husbands, love your wives, just as also Christ loved the church and gave Himself for her, to make her holy, cleansing her in the washing of water by the word. He did this to present the church to Himself in splendor, without spot or wrinkle or any such thing, but holy and blameless. In the same way, husbands should love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself.
Ephesians 5:25-28

Likewise, the instruction regarding parenting:

And fathers, don't stir up anger in your children, but bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord.
Ephesians 6:4

While I do not have any inspired Scripture to help me become a better photographer, I do have the wisdom and experience of Scott Kelby and Matt Kloskowski, distilled in the following 5 principles:
  1. Decide what type of photographer you want to be (I choose to focus on landscapes, family portraits, travel & city and architecture).
  2. Study the works of the master photographers and understand how they made pictures.
  3. Get more training on the methods and techniques.
  4. Go to the locations that will allow me to shoot the types of photos that I have decided to focus on (photography is not an inexpensive hobby).
  5. Create a portfolio of my best 24 photos in each genre (this will have to wait until I am satisfied with what I have created).
Life is short. As I write this entry, my father-in-law is battling stage 4 lung cancer. He will probably not see my youngest daughter grow up. I don't think my son will remember him. In view of this life shattering event, I think it is time to set some goals and work towards them.

Blessings.

No comments: